Tuesday, August 25, 2015

How I Crushed My Fast Food Addiction and Launched a Healthy Diet – by Mike Broemmel


How I Crushed My Fast Food Addiction and Launched a Healthy Diet –
What I Did to Lose 80 Pounds in Six Months

by Mike Broemmel

Controlling my weight presented a challenge during much of my adult life. A couple of years ago, I exploded to over 220 pounds, while standing at only 5'6". My poor nutrition resulted in health issues that included dangerously high blood pressure and a diagnosis as being a borderline diabetic.

The primary factor that contributed to my obesity was my
fast food habit. On average, I ate at fast food restaurants two and sometimes three times a day, nearly every day of the week. I managed to drop 80 pounds and arrive at a healthy weight within six months by breaking my fast food habit.

Drink Water

The first and most effective step I took to cut my addiction to fast food was drinking a plentiful amount of water each and every day. Without fail, I drank (and continue to consume) a minimum of eight 8-ounce glasses of fresh water each and every day. Indeed, I begin my day by drinking two glasses when I rise in the morning before I do anything else.

Ensuring the proper intake of water not only assists in optimizing digestive functioning but it made me feel fuller throughout the course of the day and rendered me less inclined to munch on fast food throughout the day.

Substitute Healthy Tasty Food Options
 Readily having healthy and yet truly tasty food options readily available was a key component of kicking the fast food habit. I stocked up on fruits and vegetables and lean meats that I enjoyed. I did not burden my diet with those fruits and vegetables I did not care for despite the fact that they might be healthy choices. In the end, replacing fast food with a selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, together with lean meat, was an improvement even if I did not embrace a wide selection of these types of foods.

Stock Easy to Prepare Items

One of my attractions to fast food arose from how convenient it is in a fast paced life. I do maintain a very full schedule and throughout much of my adult life, fast food seemed to be my only reliable dietary option. In order to ensure that I would have a plentiful supply of easy to prepare options, I shopped at markets that carried wholesome food selections and prepared meal options.

I also selected fruits that were ready to eat. For example, I made sure I kept grapes, apples and fruits that did not require what I oftentimes considered a cumbersome peeling ritual before consuming. The act of having to peel an orange, and the time involved, was enough to deter me from selecting this type of fruit. However, such an excuse evaporated when I maintained a selection of truly ready to eat fruits.

Make Dining Out an Event

Rather than making eating out something done in haste, I reoriented my out of home dining experiences to fashion them into events. Rather than something done on the spur of the moment, I made dining out something to be done with friends, something to be done leisurely. The net effect was to force my dining out of the home experiences from fast food joints to sit down restaurants and bistros that offer healthier menu selections
.
www.mikebroemmel.com

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. Throughout my Mom's then my husband's illnesses, I ate on the go, Gained 30 lbs. in 3 years. Water will be my new best friend.

    ReplyDelete